When I was in second grade my mom bought me my first Madonna album (it was the first one she released, still one of my favorites!). I loved that album and would listen to it all the time, and pretty much wore that cassette tape out (totally aging myself here). I was fascinated by her messy hair, thick eyebrows and arms full of black jelly bracelets. My adoration of her continued well into middle school and junior high. I started wearing leggings under my mini skirts, fingerless gloves when my mom would let me, lace ribbons in my hair, and tons of jelly bracelets. If I was old enough to have worn a lace bustier I would’ve been in heaven. I thought Madonna was the coolest chick ever, and I wanted to have her cool style too, or as much as I could get away with.
As I’ve gotten older, my style has evolved from rocker to glamour to my current love of relaxed boho, but I still remember my first realization of a celebrity’s personal style, and the power of having your own style. I’ve been inspired by women who have a definitive style over the years, and have brought different elements of what I liked into my own. I’ve always admired women who know what looks good on them and feel confident to express their personalities with their clothing and makeup, and I have found I feel more confident in myself when I do the same.
Today I'm sharing with you 5 reasons why you should be like Madonna and so many other awesome ladies out there and have your own signature style. And next week I'm going to share with you tips on how to discover what your signature style is.
1. Having a signature style makes you more memorable to others, (and by others I mean your clients and potential clients). Remember when JLo got rid of her bandanas and hip-hop clothes, and became the bronzed goddess she is today? Her star power skyrocketed, and we all couldn’t get enough of her, and still can't. Or Jennifer Aniston’s Rachel hair cut, the most famous haircut of all. Now she’s known for her easy, classic California style and showed us we can be stylish in a simple t shirt and jeans. Both of them are known for their signature style, and so many women follow them and want to be like them.
2. You inspire others with your style and your brand. You look like you have it all, and people want to be like you. Think about some of the icons or girl crushes you admire. It can be for their talents, their good deeds or their work ethics, but I’ll bet you also admire them for their killer clothes, or unique beauty. Nicole Richie is a great example of this. When she left The Simple Life and Paris Hilton behind, she got a stylish makeover and really became known for her smooth and sleek, put together style, with a touch of boho free spiritedness. All of the sudden, people started taking her more seriously, and more career opportunities came up. She started her own fashion empire, and now she's known as a successful business woman with style to be envied.
3. You look and feel more confident. When you feel like you look stylish and put together, you look more confident to others and you feel more confident in yourself. Having a signature look that you love can be a big part of this. Stylish means something different to everyone, so whether you’re rocking a power suit, the latest fashion trend, or a white tee and jeans, the point is to rock a look that feels true to you.
4. People think of you when they think of or see certain trends. Whenever I see a great red lipstick, I always think of Gwen Stefani and her perfect red pout. Or if I see cute, blunt bangs I think of Zooey Deschanel and how no one wears straight bangs like she does. Or if someone is talking about fur vests and glamourous 70’s style I think of Bianca Jagger first for the glamour, and then Rachel Zoe for her modern take on it. But you could be that woman everyone thinks of for the fabulous bold lip or beautiful wavy hair, or killer heels that make every girl drool over.
5. Shopping for clothes or beauty products is a lot easier. You know what your style is, so you know what to look for while shopping. No more hours of wandering around the store, aimlessly trying to find something you like but not sure what you’re looking for. Or buying every new eyeshadow collection at MAC only to come home and realize that creating a purple glitter smoky eye is not you. Having a signature style makes it easier to make a plan to shop and love what you bring home.
Now that I've shared my tips with you on why you should have your own signature style, I'd love to hear from you what having a signature style means to you, or what iconic women influence your style. Leave me a comment below! If you liked this post, please share it with your friends! And keep an eye out for next week's post where I'm going to be sharing some ideas on how to discover what your signature style is.