Picture this: your alarm goes off in the morning, at a time that no one should have to get up at. You reach over without opening your eyes and hit the snooze button, and drift off to sleep. 10 minutes later, you hear the alarm again, and in a daze you hit the snooze button again and fall back asleep. Before you even realize it, you’ve hit snooze 5 times and you now have only 30 minutes to get yourself presentable and leave for work to avoid being late, and that’s if your work commute goes smooth. You go into the bathroom, turn on the light, and look in the mirror and gasp when you see your hair. It’s tangled, totally messy, frizzy, and has no volume (or at least not in the places it should!). How are you going to deal with this un-tameable, out of control mess, and still get to work on time? Does this sound familiar to you? This happens to me at least 2-3 times per week! But luckily, I’ve figured out a few tricks to help tame my messy bed head, and I’m sharing them with you today so you can end the cycle of bad hair days! Here are my top 5 tips to help you conquer and embrace your messy bed head.
1. If you want to wake up with beachy, boho waves, take large sections of hair and braid it in a loose french braid before bed and sleep in it. The braid will keep your hair from getting frizzy, or weird parts in the back of your head, plus give you soft waves when you wake up. If you want more of crimped, mermaid look to your hair, you can take smaller sections when you create braid. When you wake up in the morning, shake out the braid and run your fingers through the waves. You can add a light spray of hair spray to hold the style all day.
2. If you tend to wake up with flat, no volume hair, sleep with your hair in a high bun. Gather your hair at the top of you head like you were going to put it in a pony tail. Hold the end out and twist it to make a thick twist, then coil it around the top of your head to create the bun. Secure it with a scrunchie or fabric hair fastener to keep it in place without damaging your hair. The bun will keep it out of your face while you sleep, and give your hair volume when you wake up in the morning and take it down. When you wake up, undo the bun and shake out the twist. Part your hair where you like to wear it, and spray lightly for hold. You’ll have soft, natural looking body and waves.
3. Dry shampoo is your best friend when it comes to embracing bed head. It dries up any oil in the hair, adds texture where you want it, and can spruce up volume and curls from the day before. My favorite dry shampoos are Dry Texturizing Spray from Oribe, TiGi’s Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo, and Oscar Blandi’s Pronto Dry Shampoo. Part a section of your hair and spray it with the dry shampoo. Do this all along the sides, top and back of your head. When you’ve sprayed each section with the dry shampoo, give yourself a head massage to rub the product in and get major volume. You can comb your fingers lightly through the ends of the hair to tame a little of the tangles, spray with hair spray and lightly scrunch up from the bottom of your hair to add a loose bend to your hair.
4. Another way to embrace your bed head is to tease your hair a bit and go with it. Just roll with that messy, sexy bedhead look. Tease the roots of your hair all around the back and sides to get that sexy, undone look that will take you only 5 minutes. To tease your hair, take a teasing brush, and then take thin, horizontal sections of hair. Start about an inch from the roots and use your teasing brush to scoop down, pushing the hair at the roots down and building a little cushion. You can do this 2-3 times on each section, depending on how much volume you want.
5. Put your hair in a messy side braid. The texture you’ll get from your night’s sleep will add to the sexy, undoneness of the braid. Comb through your hair with your fingers, gather all your hair over one shoulder, and then braid it loosely to the end. Lightly pull on the sections of the braid to make it thicker and messier. You can even pull out a few loose pieces to give it a boho vibe.
I love that messy hair is in style and on trend right now, and with these tips, you can make your endless snooze button pushing and bed head work to your advantage! I’d love to hear from you what your tips are to conquer or embrace bed head! Leave me a comment below, or let me know how these tips have helped your morning routine.