Picture this: you've just spent an hour getting ready to go to brunch with your besties. You've applied your makeup perfectly, with flawless skin and your eyeliner is on point. You meet the girls at your favorite brunch spot, and they have the perfect table waiting for you outside. You're catching up on everyone's lives while enjoying mimosas when you realize that you need to use the ladies' room. As you pass by the mirror you see... your makeup is running down your face and you look like a hot mess!
All your hard work that morning was for nothing, and now you have to figure out how to fix it!
Has this ever happened to you?
As a makeup artist who works with tons of brides during the hot summer, my job is to make sure my clients look amazing all day long, whether the temperature is perfect or scorching. So I've picked up some tips in all my years of experience to help summer proof (and cry proof) my clients' makeup so they never look in the mirror to see their "face" dripping off!
Today I'm going to share my top 5 tips to summer proof your makeup so you can look cool and confident no matter how hot it is.
1. Less is more. Summer is the time to show off your skin, and it’s easier to have sweat proof makeup when you’re not wearing a ton of it. Heavy foundation and powder is going to show more streaks or be more noticeable when wearing off, so wearing a foundation that’s lighter will be more forgiving. I love wearing a tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation in the summer. My favorite right now is Make Up For Ever’s Water Blend Foundation (formerly Face and Body). It gives a light coverage to even out your skin naturally and is water proof! MAC's Face and Body foundation is another great choice. Perfect for summer!
2. Use long wearing cream eye shadows and blush. Powders tend to wear off when it gets hot, so creams are your best bet for summer. There are so many great options now for cream shadows and blush! I love the Eye Caviar Sticks from Laura Mercier or Long Wearing Cream Shadows from Bobbi Brown. Choose a pretty champagne or soft taupe, apply over your eyelid with your finger and blend the top of it with a fluffy brush and you’re done. For cream blush, I love Charlotte Tilbury’s Beach Sticks or Nars’ The Multiple.
3. Use waterproof mascara and eyeliner. This one is kind of a no brainer, but I think sometimes we forget to grab the waterproof eye products in the summer. If they’re not waterproof, they’ll probably be running down your face in about 20 minutes if you’re outside. Make sure to grab an eye makeup remover that is specifically for waterproof products.
4. Add color to your lips with a lip stain or long wearing lip gloss. You won't have to worry about it disappearing after sipping cocktails or having to reapply it every hour. Stila's Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks are seriously amazing- really pigmented, great colors, and they stay put through eating, drinking, and everything! For a more natural look, Benefit's Benetint is lovely for a rosy pout.
5. Set your makeup with a translucent powder and setting spray. I don't recommend heavily powdering your face in the heat, as it can get cakey. But I love setting a foundation with a light, translucent powder to help waterproof it, and finish with a really good mist of a makeup setting spray. The powder will help seal your tinted moisturizer or foundation, and the setting spray will help the powder settle into the skin and lock it into place. My favorite translucent powder right now is Make Up For Ever's Super Matte Loose Powder- I use it on all my clients. And I love Make Up For Ever's Mist and Fix setting spray, or Urban Decay's All Nighter setting spray. Both will help waterproof your makeup and make it last for hours.
I hope you're enjoying your summer and having all kinds of fun adventures! I'd love to hear from you in the comments below what your favorite tips are to summer proof your makeup, or what your favorite water proof must have products are!