February is the month of love. When I was single, I used to always dread this time of year because I didn’t have a partner to celebrate Valentine’s Day with. But celebrating love doesn’t always have to be about having a special someone. It should be about the most important person in your life- YOU! And ideally we would celebrate our self love every day, but since we sometimes need a reminder, I’m using Valentine’s Day as a way to encourage you to start now.
There are many ways you can celebrate self love, but for me, I think it starts with doing things that help me feel really good about myself. In today’s post, I’m sharing with you my top 7 tips to feeling like the best version of yourself!
1. Invest in your self care. I love to treat myself to massages, facials, and mani-pedis, or it could be buying yourself that new Anthropologie dress you’ve been eyeing. It could also be as easy as spending some time alone away from your kids to recharge yourself.
2. Move your body. One of the easiest ways for me me to increase my energy and feel good is to do some kind of body movement. My favorite exercise right now is my Barre 3 class, but it can be as simple as taking a walk, putting on your favorite song and shaking your ass for 5 minutes, or doing a 20 online yoga class from an app.
3. Dress to impress…. Yourself! I think a lot of times as women, we tend to worry about what others will think about the outfits we choose. But what if you just wore what made you feel pretty and happy, and didn’t care what other people thought? It would feel pretty freeing, right? This could also mean not just throwing on your yoga pants and sweatshirt but taking the time to choose an outfit that makes you feel beautiful, even if no one else sees it.
4. Find your signature “thing”. What do you put on that makes any outfit feel complete and like you? Is it a bold lip color, feather earrings, a cool hat? Don’t have one? Experiment with a few different accessories or makeup and see what feels like a fun expression of yourself. My new signature "thing" is to wear magenta lipstick. I love the color Janet from Nars.
5. Up your skincare game. As a makeup artist, I’ve learned that when your skin looks good, you don’t have to wear a lot of makeup. Plus it helps you to look younger too! I’ve found that really taking care of my skin by using good products, and giving myself home facial treatments makes me feel more confident and taken care of. So buy a luxurious facial cream to hydrate your skin. Or get some fun masks from Sephora to do a weekly face mask.
6. Have more fun. As a business owner, sometimes I get so focused on growing my business and feeling like every waking moment needs to be spent on tasks that will help me to be more successful. I’ve forgotten what it’s like to turn off my business mind and just do things for pleasure, not because they might get me more clients. I’ve been tuning in to what feels like fun for me, and then adding it into my life. It can be as simple as listening to music I love while coloring in my adult coloring book. Or reading a juicy novel (I’m addicted to Lisa Gardner right now). Or taking a walk with an old film camera I bought and taking pictures of my dogs.
7. Do something that scares you (in a good way). My goal is to be more bold and do things that help me grow. I started a personal photography project on doing self portraits, because I have a hard time being in front of the camera. Yours could be learning a new skill, sharing more of yourself on social media, or doing a boudoir shoot.
I’d love to hear from you what tips you have to feeling like the best version of you. Share them in the comments below!