Trends for summer can change a bit from year to year, but there is always one beauty look that’s always on trend: natural looking and glowing skin. Even if you're not naturally blessed with perfectly even and clear skin, you can still look like you are with a few simple tips.
Since the summer months can be hot and sticky, I find that using makeup products that feel lighter on the skin are always better. And if they are water resistant, it’s a plus for resisting sweat and humidity!
Whether your summer climate is cold and foggy San Francisco, or hot and humid on the East Coast, having beautiful summer skin will be a great look for you.
Today I’m going to share with you my top 5 tips for creating gorgeous, natural looking summer skin. These are tips that I use on my clients and on myself. Making the skin look good is always a focus for me and my work.
1. Hydrate your skin with an illuminating lotion or primer. I love adding a light shimmer under my foundation so my skin looks like it glows from within. Some of my favorites include Charlotte Tilbury’s Wonder Glow, Laura Mercier’s Illuminating Primer, and MAC’s Strobe Cream.
2. Apply a foundation that has a light coverage. Choose a tinted moisturizer, BB or CC Cream, or a Face and Body foundation. I’m obsessed with Charlotte Tilbury’s Light Wonder Foundation, Make Up For Ever’s Face and Body Liquid, and Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer.
3. Use an illuminating concealer under your eyes. By using a highlighting concealer, you’ll brighten up those bags without looking like you’re wearing tons of makeup. Check out Touche Eclat by YSL, Dior Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen, and Sephora Collection Smoothing and Brightening Concealer.
4. Sweep bronzer across the highpoints of your face with a big fluffy brush. Think of where the sun would naturally hit your face: the forehead, cheeks, bridge of nose, chin, and center of throat. I’m loving Nars’ Bronzing Powder, Hourglass’ Ambient Bronzer, and Make Up For Ever’s Pro Bronze Fusion.
5. Finish your beautiful summer skin with a peachy or bronzy blush to add a beautiful flush to your skin. My all time favorite summer blushes are Nars’ Orgasm Powder Blush, Nars’ The Multiple in Na Pali Coast, or Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Nectar.
Bonus step: Spritz your skin with a hydrating mist to help the makeup set and look fresh! I can’t get enough of MAC’s Fix Plus, Caudalie’s Beauty Elixer, or Tata Harper’s Hydrating Floral Essence.
Having gorgeous looking skin can help you look younger and radiant, and doesn’t have to take that much time to get. Once you have your routine down, it should only take about 5 minutes.
The best part about beautiful skin? If you’re in a rush, you don’t have to do much else for your makeup. Throw on some mascara and a fun lip and you're good to go!
I’d love to hear from you in the comments below. What are your favorite tricks for glowing summer skin? Have a favorite product you can’t live without? I’d love to hear all about it.