When I have a Signature Makeover with a client, I always ask her what she wants to learn, and what she needs help with. 95% of the time my clients tell me they need help with applying eyeliner.
While eyeliner can really enhance your eyes, it can also look harsh or age you if not done well. And I get the frustration women have with it, it can be tricky!
But applying your eyeliner doesn’t have to be the most frustrating part of your day. As a professional artist, I’ve worked with so many different shapes of eyes, and women of different ages. And after working with all of these unique and beautiful eyes, I’ve learned a few tricks to make applying eyeliner a piece of cake.
So to make things a little easier for you, I wanted to share my top 5 tips to creating a perfect line every time.
1. Break up your line as your drawing it. Use little dashes to create your perfect line. Don’t try to draw one continuous line all at once. It’s much easier to create a perfect line in steps rather than all at once.
2. Start your line in the center of the eye to figure out how thick you want it. Draw it out to the end of the lashline, only as far as your lashes go. Then go back to the inner corner and draw a thin line as close to the lashes as you can get, and meet your starting point.
3. End your line slightly angled up towards the end of your brow, instead of pointed down. Having your liner pointed up will give your eye a lift instead of dragging your eye shape down. Marilyn Monroe was able to pull it off with her bedroom eyes, but mostly it just gives you sad, puppy dog eyes. Or even worse, it can make you look older.
4. Use a Qtip to clean up the end of your eyeliner if it’s messy or pointed down. Swipe the Qtip up from the outer corner of your eye towards the end of your brow.
5. Afraid of messing up with your gel or liquid liner? Draw it in first with a black or dark brown shadow and an angled brush, then draw on top of it with your gel or liquid liner. You can perfect the line with your eyeshadow, which is easy to fix or clean up. Once you’ve traced the line you want, apply your bold liner on top for fool proof, perfect liner!
Now that I’ve shared with you some of my favorite tips for applying eyeliner, I’d love to see how you’ve mastered your new liner skills. Share a photo of yourself with your eyeliner look and on Instagram and tag me at @melissahoffmannbeauty in it so I can see how you did! Don’t forget to follow me for more beauty tips, tricks, and behind the scenes that I only share on Instagram.